Sunday, August 19, 2007

Provisional Wedge Toe

When I was starting my first pair of Ravenclaw socks I mentioned that I would talk later about my favorite toe construction, which is a little odd. It isn't completely novel, but I don't know anyone else who uses this method.First I start off with a crocheted chain of slightly more than the number of knit stitches for the foot circumference. Picking up the stitches from this chain is exactly the same as for a normal crocheted provisional cast-on, only with twice as many stitches. From there I knit a toe, exactly the same as a regular wedge toe that you would do cuff down, complete with kitchener.

Once you have the finished toe, you undo the provisional cast-on and pick up the stitches, again like a regular crocheted provisional cast-on.

I like this toe because I really like the look of the wedge toe, but prefer knitting toe-up. Part of the reason I have never heard of anyone else doing this may be because so many seem to consider both kitchenering and the crocheted provisional cast-on to be fiddly.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home